Canonical Form and Place of Marriage

You are here:
  1. Catholic couple may celebrate their marriage in the parish where either of the parties has a domicile, quasi-domicile or month-long residence.
  2. Catholic couple may celebrate their marriage elsewhere, with the permission of the proper ordinary or pastor.  This refers to another Catholic church or chapel.
  3. The local ordinary may also permit a marriage to be celebrated in another suitable place other than a Catholic church or chapel, but this is to be determined by the local ordinary only, not by the pastor.
  4. In the case of a Mixed Marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic, the ordinary place of celebration is the parish church of the Catholic party (with the permission for Mixed Marriage).  However, with the permission of the local ordinary or the pastor of the Catholic party, it can be celebrated in another Catholic church.
  5. The local ordinary (but not the pastor) can permit a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic to celebrate their marriage in some other suitable place, such as a non-Catholic church or place of worship.  Along with the Canonical Permission for a Mixed Marriage, dispensation from Place and/or from Canonical Form must be obtained from the local ordinary in these cases.
  6. Marriages between a Catholic and a non-Christian (such as a Jew or Muslim) can be celebrated in a church or in some other suitable public place.  Dispensation from Disparity of Worship, as well as dispensation from Place and/or Canonical Form must be obtained from the local ordinary.
  7. Marriages may be celebrated at a college chapel where there is a Campus Ministry provided that one of the parties is a student or recent graduate of that college.
  8. MARRIAGES ARE NOT ALLOWED OUTDOORS! It is important to check immediately with the Tribunal Office if the couple suggests a place that seems to be out of the ordinary so that wedding plans can proceed without any problems.
  9. When the local ordinary grants Dispensation from Canonical Form and/or Place, it is important that only one minister officiates at the wedding.  It is forbidden to have a religious celebration in which a Catholic and a non-Catholic minister, assisting together but following their respective rituals, ask for the consent of the parties.  Likewise, it is forbidden to have another religious celebration of the same marriage to express or renew matrimonial consent.  There cannot be a second ceremony for exchanging or renewing consent before or after the actual and only wedding celebration (cf. c. 1127, §3).