When are Permissions or Dispensations Needed?

You are here:

Permissions are needed for:

  • Mixed marriage – a Catholic wishes to marry a baptized non-Catholic
  • Canon 1071 situations
    • Marriages of vagrants (those who have no domicile)
    • Marriages which cannot be recognized or celebrated in civil law
    • Marriages in which a party is bound by natural obligations arising from a prior union, to some individual or children (i.e. alimony or child support are being met)
    • Marriages involving a party who has notoriously rejected the faith
    • Marriages when one or both parties are under ecclesiastical censure
    • Marriages involving one or two minor children when parents are unaware of the proposed marriage or offer reasonable objections to its celebration
    • Marriages to be celebrated by proxy
  • Marriage outside an approved place – when a Catholic deacon or priest will witness the vows of the couple, but the wedding will not take place within a Catholic parish church. THE DIOCESE OF FALL RIVER DOES NOT ALLOW OUTDOOR WEDDINGS.
  • Dispensations are needed for:
    • Disparity of Cult – a Catholic wishes to marry an unbaptized person
    • Impediment of Consanguinity – the marriage of first cousins
    • Impediment of Affinity – relationship with the in-law family
    • Impediment of Crime
    • Canonical Form – when a couple does not want a Catholic wedding but wants their marriage officiated by a rabbi, Protestant minister, etc. to be recognized by the Catholic Church. This dispensation is NEVER given for two Catholics.